Monday, January 31, 2011

Seize the Moment

This morning I had the RARE opportunity to sing a lullabye to my 17 year old son! What a blessing!

How many of us and how often do we have these chances to reach out and grab a piece of LOVE?! More than we realize - I say.

My son has the habit or going back to sleep on the sofa after having breakfast in the morning. Usually I get upset with him and bark at him to get up and get moving but this morning the Lord gifted me with an awareness that this was an opportunity for a special moment!

I walked over to the sofa and sat next to him and caressed his head and his hair, the same curly trusses that I used to caress when he was just a toddler. Same boy, same curls, how have I missed this?

Thank You God for slowing me down just a little and opening my eyes to the gift of this child before me.

I gently asked him if I could sing him a song, knowing he'd agree to anything that meant he could lie there another moment before the hustle and bustle of getting ready for another Monday of school. I began.

"You Are My
Sonshine" (that's the way I sing it because he is my 'son' ;-)...my only sonshine, you make me happy when skies are gray... I always sang him this song, when he was just a little guy, to wake him up in the mornings.

This morning, as I hit the familiar notes, his mouth curled slightly, at the corners, to show his approval and an awareness of a mother and son connection that only the two of us hold. Sweet.

The song ended and I wasn't ready to let go and fortunately, he wasn't ready to get up ;-) so I said

"OK, I'll sing you one more" and I began a favorite
lullabye from when he was a baby.

I want to share the
lullabye with you:


Believe me if all those endearing young charms,

that I gazed on so fondly today,

were to fade by tomorrow and fleet from my arms,

like fairy dreams fading away,

thou would still be adored, as this moment thou art,

let thy loveliness fade as it will,

but around the dear you, in each wish of my heart,

would entwine itself verdantly still still...


if any song was perfect for singing to a child (knowing they will one day be a teenager), this is it! ;-]

Well, I caressed his trusses a few seconds more and then had to use my Big Mommy voice to get him moving.


Thank You Lord for the gift, this opportunity for LOVE and may it entwine itself verdantly still in our hearts forever!

and may each of us be aware to Seize the Moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment